This file contains additional information, probably added from the digital camera or scanner used to create or digitize it.
If the file has been modified from its original state, some details may not fully reflect the modified file.
The Humbled Cook: Steak and Eggs Benedict
March 11, 2012
A variation of the breakfast is featured in the MasterChef cookbook:
Some cooking notes:
Overall grade: C (mostly because by the time I had plated it, most of the elements were no longer serving temperatures BUT
I don't feel as bad on this dish as I did with the Green Gazpacho)
- Need to add sliced avocados next time
- Still need to make fresh hollandaise instead of the pre-made powder. Is this where you add the wine?
- Make an aggregated recipe on thehumbledcook.com
- Use the standard Hashbrowns instead of cubes potatoes
- Have eggs prepped in bowls to reduce the overall production time
- Have an additional sauce pan already prepped with hot water to reduce the overall time when cooking the following eggs
- How will you properly utilize all four burners to reduce the production time so it's not cold
- Can you prep the paper towels on plates ahead of time to reduce production time.
- trivet, bowls, pre-heated oven to keep the eggs, meat and muffins warm pre-plating
- SHARPEN your knives!
- two sauce pans to alternate the poaching of the eggs
Pre-made Hollondaise sauce: C-
- How to make it silky smoothe and not lumpy?
- When to make it so its still a little hot by the time you plate it
- Is there would you place the win ingredient
- Remember key thing, keep stirring
- How do you properly knife a Tenderloin Fillet Mignon(via Safeway) in half without being at risk of cutting yourself?
- By the time you're done and 10 minute post-cook, that's when you should be ready to plate.
- Remember to practice with the tongs like you saw on Iron Chef, this requires sharp knives!
Poached Egg: C
- I think we need a larger sauce pan than the one we have to have a full 3 inches of water w/o spilling when whisking.
- Does the egg white supposed to be more intact? What temperature should the water be at the time the egg drops?
- Is it necessary to put it in ice water?
Muffin: C- (sourdough was a bit overdone slightly)
- Use the toaster to toast the muffins
- Idea, use the oven to keep muffins warm until ready to plate
- How long should the muffins be in the oven and at what temperature
Potato side: B
- This was more of an afterthought and I didn't have my standard hashbrowns
Shallot Garnish: D+
- Remember to use the grape seed oil! ( don't use too much! )
- How do you prevent it from being too greasy
- When do you create them so they aren't cold by serving time (use the oven to keep warm?)
- Remeber the mincing "typewriter" technique you saw from that Italian home cook.
IMPORTANT Production video notes:
- I think we officially need a real working mic stand (we need better adjustments that stay once set)
- Perhaps we should be wearing shoes in our videos
- For the official production video, have a 'thehumbledcook.com' insignia-ed apron for reverse shots
Giving credit where credit is due, the background music: